Thursday 17 January 2013

Final outcome and evaluation


Final Outcome and evaluation 




This project was my Personal Project, this gave me freedom to experiment with ideas and techniques that I would find interesting, I took advantage of this and decided to experiment with things I hadn't tried before. I started out this project with four initial ideas, listed below.
-Obscuring the face
-Body paint
-Refraction in water
-Light painting
I experimented with each of my ideas;

obscuring the face-
For this idea I looked at artists such as Rankin, I was inspired by his work to try it out for my self, I enjoyed doing this as it was something new and different and I liked how the photographs turned out. For this I used a piece of paper than I had printed out an outline of a shape on. I then cut the shape out keeping the rest of the paper in tact, I got my model to hold the paper up to her face, I was careful not to get my models hands in the photograph, as I thought it would ruin the effect of the photograph.
Rankin's work:











My work:













Body paint;
Another idea I experimented with was body paint, this was my favourite idea and the one I used to develop and base most of my experiments around. I started this idea by looking a Thomas Hawk, his work inspired me to try body paint, I decided on UV body paint as it was a bit different from what I had already seen and I hadn't done anything like it before. For this I painted my model with UV paint and photographed her using only a UV torch, this was difficult as I only had a small about of light to work with, this made some of my photographs blurry.

Thomas Hawk's work:



















My work:













Refraction in water;
My third idea was refraction in water, for this idea I looked at  Zena Holloway, I liked the idea of how different water can make things look, I also used this idea to develop my final idea. I enjoyed doing this experiment because I liked the final outcome. For this experiment I got my models to lay in the bath and put their head underwater, I did this with both my digital SLR and my SLR.

Zena Holloway's work:



















My work:













Light painting;
The last of my initial ideas was light  painting, when I experimented with this idea I combined it with my UV paint idea as I thought it would be quite interesting to see how a person covered in glowing paint and moving would look on camera. I enjoyed doing this and I was quite impressed with the outcome, I looked at an artist called Dryden Goodwin. For this i got my model to move her head in circles as I took the photograph.

Dryden Goodwin's work:













My work:



















For this project I took two rolls of film but only one of them came out as I had problems with my camera and it got exposed, but I was quite pleased with the roll of film that did come out, this was my initial ideas roll where I photographed all four of my ideas. For the remainder of the project I decided to use my digital SLR camera so that I could edit my photographs and see them as I was taking them.
This project allowed me to come to grips with Photo-shop and helped me to learn new skills and techniques. at the beginning of the project I wasn't very comfortable with editing my photographs but after I had done it a few times it became easier and I enjoyed doing it.

My main idea throughout the project has been UV body paint, I started off with painting my model with UV paint eg. hand prints and random splodges of paint, the next time I did this I decided to paint a pattern on the whole of her back I preferred how these turned out. The last time that I used UV paint I didn't have a model available I had to photograph myself, I painted my arms, neck, face and hands. These were my favourite photographs and I used them to then experimented with the 'hue saturation' in Photo-shop, then I turned them into Gif's. After experimenting with Gif's I decided that I wanted to make a Gif in Photo-shop for my final outcome.
























The photographs above shows the development of my idea.

Before I decided on making a Gif for my final outcome I thought about making a UV paint video, I decided not to do this because after I experimented with Gif's I liked that idea much better as I didn't have enough light for the video,but here is my experimentation with video;















When I thought about how I would present my final outcome Gif, I found it difficult to think of a creative way to display a moving image outcome.
Ideas I came up with;
-On a projector screen
-Pin wheel












-Flick book









I also used a stack of post-it notes to make a flick book as the first one didn't work very well.












After trying all of these different presentation methods I decided on showing my GIF as a GIF on a projector screen as I believe it will show it to it's full potential.

Overall I am pleased with my final outcome and I enjoyed making it and the journey and development of getting to the idea of it. For example, I started off with a body paint idea, then I developed it into an UV body paint, then I used the UV paint to made patterns on the body, Then I experimented with the paint and water, finally I made my photographs into a GIF. If I could change one thing that I did in the project it would be to try more Photo-shop tutorials and pick up more skills for editing my photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment